Stress is simply the body’s reaction to a demand, change or stimulus (event, activity, etc.), and this reaction can be mental, emotional or physical (see list at right). The best thing we can do is prevent stress by planning ahead, staying organized, keeping up with work and prioritizing our time. We also want to keep our physical and mental states such that they can naturally conquer stress by:
- Getting a minimum of 20 minutes of aerobic exercise a day
- Drinking no more than 2 cups of caffeinated beverages a day (it can exacerbate anxiety)
- Reducing sugars (because they weaken the immune system)
- Minimizing alcohol consumption (because it increases headaches and disrupts sleep)
- Sleeping a minimum of 7 hours a night
- Eating lots (and lots and lots) of fruits and veggies!